Nurbs Surface Model
Nurbs Surface Model, characteristics and when to use are listed below..
- Ideal data converted from scan data
- Can ignore or incorporate manufacturing defects
- “Dumb” IGES surfaces or solid
- Modifications that require re-trimming
- Can be Class A surfaced
When to use
- Modifications to the file are going to be made
- 2D drawings are needed
- Surface finish must be smooth (for manufacturing)
- Buildings parts on or around scanned part
Non-uniform rational basis spline (NURBS) is a mathematical model commonly used in computer graphics for generating and representing curves and surfaces. It offers great flexibility and precision for handling both analytic (surfaces defined by common mathematical formulae) and modelled shapes. NURBS are commonly used in computer-aided design (CAD), manufacturing (CAM), and engineering (CAE) and are part of numerous industry wide standards, such as IGES, STEP, ACIS, and PHIGS. NURBS tools are also found in various 3D modelling and animation software packages.