Reverse engineering using 3D scan data is the most efficient way to generate a CAD model from a physical object that has any kind of complex or freeform shape. While using traditional measurement techniques such as calipers to reverse engineer these complex surfaces can be difficult or even impossible, 3D laser scanning shines – literally!
Although this scan data can easily be turned into a model representing it’s as-built shape (a shrinkwrap model), we specialize in creating models that match original as-designed features – even parametric ones.
Take advantage of the experience of our reverse engineering team to help you:
- Obtain CAD data that captures an object’s original design intent
- Design a new part to fit to a legacy part
- Accurately model performance surfaces
- Update CAD models of your tooling to match shop-floor changes
- Redesign a part without manufacturing defects
- Modernize your manufacturing process
The critical steps in reverse engineering are acquiring, accurately and efficiently, the dimensions of the object and extracting the necessary information from the resulting scan in order to create the new design with the right look and functionality.